various bug-fixes, including a critical bug in the styles system
Graphite is an application for creating and editing of graphs. The term graph means here a set of nodes and edges, whereby each edge is connected to two nodes.
This definition might be not very clear for someone, who is not familiar with the term graph. So here is second definition:
Graphically (no pun intended) a graph consists of some boxes with text in it (the nodes) and some arrows (the edges), that go from one box to another.
This gives a widely used type of diagram, that you normally would produce with an application like Draw or Artworks. Indeed Graphite is in some way similar to Draw.
But while in Draw you operate on plain graphical objects, in Graphite you operate on nodes and edges. This is a different level of abstraction and it has the consequence, that you don't have to care about certain things, you would need to do manually in Draw:
- If you move a node around, the connected edges follow the box automatically.
- If you create a new edge, it is guided automatically around existing nodes (so it doesn't cross any node).
- If you move a node to a position, that is already occupied by an edge, the edge moves away automatically.
- If you want to change some edge-effects (width, colour or something like that) for the whole document you can do this easily, because Graphite knows the difference between a line that forms the edge and a line that forms the border of a node. In Draw both would be simply a line, so you would need to select the edges manually.
- Likewise you can change some node-effects without effecting the edges.